NCIA is now hiring to expand our 12-person national team!
We’re seeking a Government Relations Coordinator. The application process is detailed below. (Do not call NCIA’s office to apply or follow up.)
Government Relations Coordinator:
The National Cannabis Industry Association seeks a dynamic self-starter to excel as Government Relations Coordinator in a fast-paced, lean, and rapidly growing nonprofit environment.
- Candidates must be highly organized, outgoing, possess strong analytical and research abilities, and be able to manage several projects concurrently.
- Bachelors Degree in Political Science or related field preferred.
- Candidates with at least two years work experience as legislative staff or in a government affairs position will be given priority, especially those with contacts on Capitol Hill.
- Knowledge of politics and Capitol Hill processes and understanding of administrative processes and procedures related to Congress and Federal Agencies. Knowledge of marijuana policy preferred.
- Advanced communication (verbal, written, social media) and computer skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint at a minimum) required.
- Candidates must demonstrate the ability to act as an assistant to the Director of Government Relations and the Government Relations Manager and use independent judgment in evaluating situations.
The Government Relations Coordinator is responsible for
- Maintaining and managing the schedules, meetings, travel, and interview requests for NCIA’s two staff lobbyists.
- Monitoring, tracking, and analyzing federal and state legislative and regulatory developments.
- Conducting background research on assigned topics, as needed.
- Drafting correspondence emails, scheduling requests, letters, briefing papers, and communications to key personnel.
- Attending and taking notes at meetings, briefings, and Congressional hearings.
- Assisting NCIA’s in-house and contracted lobbying team on issue advocacy, campaign strategy and various projects as needed.
Salary & Benefits
The Government Relations Coordinator reports to the Director of Government Relations. Starting annual salary is $40,000 to $45,000 commensurate with experience. Success in the position will lead to salary increases as the organization grows.
As a regular, full-time employee, the Government Relations Coordinator is eligible to participate in NCIA’s benefit plans which include an employer-matched 401K program, full health, dental, and life insurance coverage as well as a generous PTO policy.
The Government Relations Coordinator will be based in NCIA’s Capitol Hill office in Washington, DC.
How to apply
Follow all of the instructions below to e-mail a one-page cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the job title, “Government Relations Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.
In your cover letter, please specify how you learned about the job opening, your stance on marijuana law and the industry’s role in reform, and why you think you would be an excellent fit for the position sought. Feel free to include any other information you deem relevant, as long as your cover letter is limited to one page.
Your cover letter and resume must be sent as one single PDF document that includes your first initial and last name in the file name.
When your application is received, you should receive an automatic email confirmation. Do not call NCIA’s office to follow up. If we are interested in more information or an interview, we will contact you within about a week.
The National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA) is the largest cannabis trade association in the U.S. and the only organization representing state-legal marijuana businesses at the national level. NCIA promotes the growth of a responsible and legitimate cannabis industry and works toward a favorable social, economic, and legal environment for that industry in the United States.