by Ryan Lewis, Entourage Nutritional Distributors
Hemp, more than any other plant on Earth, is unique in its ability to literally suck the heavy metals and toxic waste out of the environment. Hemp is even being used in phytoremediation at Chernobyl in Russia. What does this mean to consumers of hemp products? Knowing as much information as possible about your hemp is crucial to understanding its legality, limitations, and effectiveness.
Hemp from China, for example, contains some of the most dangerous heavy metals in the world. According to a 2011 study of Chinese hemp strains, the plant was able to absorb dangerously high levels of the heavy metal cadmium without detriment to the plant itself. Cadmium (Cd) is an extremely toxic industrial and environmental pollutant classified as a human carcinogen.
See the study here:
Cadmium Tolerance and Bioaccumulation of 18 Hemp Accessions
The 5 most important things to consider when purchasing bulk or wholesale phytocannabinoid rich hemp oil products high in cannabidiol (CBD) are:
- Was the hemp grown in accordance with section 7606 of the US Farm Bill? The head of the DEA recently stated that section 7606 Farm Bill compliant hemp is safe from the DEA.***
- What is the heavy metals and residual solvent content of the hemp oil? Residual solvents and heavy metals can negatively influence the health benefits of the oil.
- Besides CBD, what other cannabinoids and terpenoids are present in the extract? A full spectrum profile of synergistic compounds has been shown to be more effective than an extract with only cannabidiol.
- Was the hemp grown using clones or seeds? Clones provide a much more consistent end product. With seeds, you never truly know what is going to grow.
- Can your supplier provide you with a consistent and reliable product? What good is the product if you cannot get it the exact same way every time and when you need it?
Considering the fact that many people are relying on CBD for their health and wellness, ensuring that your hemp oil is the highest quality is vital to its effectiveness. Prior to purchasing bulk or wholesale CBD oil, make sure you know where your hemp was grown and processed. Ask yourself this question before purchasing imported Chinese or European hemp oil: Would you feed your child milk imported from cows located in China or Eastern Europe? Didn’t think so.
***EDITOR’S NOTE: Federal policy toward hemp-derived CBD products with respect to Section 7606 is currently subject to substantial debate. The USDA’s website states, “[S]ection 7606 did not alter the approval process for new drug applications or any other authorities of the FDA, nor does it alter the requirements of the Controlled Substances Act that apply to the manufacture, distribution, and dispensing of drug products containing controlled substances.”
Ryan Lewis is the VP and Head of Global Sales for Folium Biosciences of Colorado Springs, CO. Folium Biosciences is the largest vertically integrated producer, manufacturer, and distributor of hemp derived phytocannabinoids in the U.S. Folium, along with their exclusive distributor, Entourage Nutritional Distributors, supplies section 7606 US Farm bill compliant hemp derived phytocannabinoids to some of the leading brands and companies in the world. Ryan graduated with high honors from Brown University and attended Pepperdine University Law School and Business School.